Take Your Turn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 250 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:07 am
Latest topics
» [Observer's AWBW document] An FOW game on 1vs1 Verdun, Nell vs Von Bolt
Allowing players to create rooms that only acept players with a determinate amount of games EmptyTue Nov 09, 2021 7:14 am by a9977321

» dpsi/Jokas Collaboration Analysis
Allowing players to create rooms that only acept players with a determinate amount of games EmptyFri Feb 19, 2021 3:20 pm by dpsi

» Jokas' Olaf Guide
Allowing players to create rooms that only acept players with a determinate amount of games EmptyFri Feb 19, 2021 3:03 pm by dpsi

» Jokas' Adder Guide (pt 1) English
Allowing players to create rooms that only acept players with a determinate amount of games EmptyFri Feb 19, 2021 2:51 pm by dpsi

» Basic Guide for HQ Cheese and countering strategy for current FOW GL maps
Allowing players to create rooms that only acept players with a determinate amount of games EmptyFri May 22, 2020 1:40 am by a9977321

» Phantom Domain Discussion
Allowing players to create rooms that only acept players with a determinate amount of games EmptyTue Mar 24, 2020 8:44 am by a9977321

» Commander Wars an Advance Wars Clone
Allowing players to create rooms that only acept players with a determinate amount of games EmptySun Jun 23, 2019 5:14 am by Robosturm_

» Advanced Strategy: Minimum Attacking Ratio
Allowing players to create rooms that only acept players with a determinate amount of games EmptyThu May 16, 2019 9:05 pm by Everdan

» Advanced Strategy: How Much is First Strike worth?
Allowing players to create rooms that only acept players with a determinate amount of games EmptyThu May 16, 2019 8:32 pm by Everdan

Top posting users this month
No user

Allowing players to create rooms that only acept players with a determinate amount of games

5 posters

Go down

Allowing players to create rooms that only acept players with a determinate amount of games Empty Allowing players to create rooms that only acept players with a determinate amount of games

Post  IPS Tue May 26, 2015 1:10 pm

[Suggestion 1] Allowing players to pick "default settings" for a design map
Well, you know it's really anoying sometimes to change manually each individual settings, mostly on maps that are too far away of standard gameplay such as this http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=66451 with the too many unit bans, CO bans and more.

Allowing seing default settings before players modificate them, would increase the chances that other hosts have higher chances to play like the map's intention instead of something more "capricious". Because really, on AWBW that's the most anoying part of creating a room.

[Suggestion 2] Allowing players to create rooms that only acept players with a determinate amount of games
To recycle ths thread and avoid the spam, I desided to edit this instead creating another. The topic of this is that I'm really anoyed of AFK's that doesn't even play their first turn on any game and then don't come again to AWBW. It would been good that as you play more, you can set in the room "allow players of xx amount of games or higher to join" and auto kicking or not allowing to join the rest. Honestly there are too much newbies like this and really few exceptions plays their firsts turn...

Last edited by IPS on Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:50 am; edited 2 times in total

IPS
Mech
Mech

Posts Posts : 17
Reputation Reputation : 4

Back to top Go down

Allowing players to create rooms that only acept players with a determinate amount of games Empty Re: Allowing players to create rooms that only acept players with a determinate amount of games

Post  Xmo5 Tue May 26, 2015 2:30 pm

A causa del uso de "Suggerence" en el título, supongo que hables español. La palabra sugerencia no es un cognado perfecto; en inglés decimos "Suggestion". Smile
Xmo5
Xmo5
AWBW Map Committee
AWBW Map Committee

Posts Posts : 458
Reputation Reputation : 106

Back to top Go down

Allowing players to create rooms that only acept players with a determinate amount of games Empty Re: Allowing players to create rooms that only acept players with a determinate amount of games

Post  Nyvelion Tue May 26, 2015 4:59 pm

It's too bad I haven't programmed in quite awhile.. or else I'd make something for this, an outside tool where you can enter settings for a map, and it generates a url like www.awbwcreatemapcustomsettings.com?mapid=10161&startingfunds=10000&unitban=blackbomb,infantry&coban=Kanbei,Sonja&playerban=sulla&fundsperturn=2000 that can be shared in the map comments that will redirect to the create map page with certain settings set. Should be doable, but maybe not the worth the time for the few maps it's needed for and having to show those few map makers who need it how to use it.
Nyvelion
Nyvelion
Mech
Mech

Posts Posts : 69
Reputation Reputation : 94

Back to top Go down

Post  WalkerBoh Tue May 26, 2015 5:49 pm

This feature already exists. For your map, click "Play on this map", create whatever settings you want, then click "Save Settings As" at the bottom instead of "Create". You can then use the "Load Settings" button to later create a game with those settings. And you can share the link for loading it in map comments or whatever.

I use this feature a ton, especially for settings for competitions.

WalkerBoh
AWBW Map Committee
AWBW Map Committee

Posts Posts : 328
Reputation Reputation : 108

Back to top Go down

Post  Nyvelion Tue May 26, 2015 8:41 pm

---

Last edited by Nyvelion on Wed May 27, 2015 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : nvm)
Nyvelion
Nyvelion
Mech
Mech

Back to top Go down

Post  WalkerBoh Tue May 26, 2015 11:22 pm

As far as I know it's been an option forever. Smile

WalkerBoh
AWBW Map Committee
AWBW Map Committee

Posts Posts : 328
Reputation Reputation : 108

Back to top Go down

Post  IPS Wed May 27, 2015 10:55 am

Xmo5 me ha pillado :c

Also I should revise with calm that "Save settings as" I tried to use it once, but I didn't know at all how to use it when I tried.

IPS
Mech
Mech

Back to top Go down

Post  Xmo5 Wed May 27, 2015 12:28 pm

IPS wrote:Xmo5 me ha pillado :c

Razz After taking enough Spanish classes I acquired a knack for picking out native speakers based on how they speak (type) English. I actually had you pegged a while back, but I can't remember what it was you said to tip me off. Phrases like "It puts me very [emotion]" are usually dead giveaways, but sometimes more subtle things stand out and if I catch more than a couple I'm usually confident enough to clean the rust off my Spanish.

Pues, ya no soy tan confidente en mi habilidad de hablar español, como puede ver ^^ jaja.
Xmo5
Xmo5
AWBW Map Committee
AWBW Map Committee

Back to top Go down

Post  IPS Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:50 am

Thread recycling, new sugestion.

IPS
Mech
Mech

Back to top Go down

Post  Nyvelion Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:02 am

New "sugestion"? I'd suggest a browser with spell-check. My posts used to be nearly unreadable, before the red squiggly line was invented.

Unless you mean the second suggestion in the top post now. That could work. As long as some troublemaker doesn't come up with the idea of filling up the list with games with absurd game requirements, up to and possibly surpassing requiring that someone has been in an amount of games around the total number ever created on AWBW, over 227,000 now.
Not that I'd ever think to do that.
Nyvelion
Nyvelion
Mech
Mech

Back to top Go down

Post  Xmo5 Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:23 am

Nyvelion wrote:
Not that I'd ever think to do that.

I'm sure we allll believe you. Rolling Eyes Smile

Anyway, this sounds like a pretty good idea, but I'd make it more of a toggle feature. In other words, have a check box on the game creation page for "Experienced Players Only" that limits players who can join to a set number of games, like 50. If someone with 49 or fewer games tried to join one of these, they would get an error similar to the "Invalid Password!" message that says something like "This game is reserved for players who have played 50 games or more." You'd have to have an obvious designation on the "Waiting Public/Private" page that says "50+" in the game info, preferably in a contrasting color so it stands out and people see it. Maybe even prevent players from getting to the CO/country selection join page so they don't waste time if they can't join.

Also, I can't remember: Are current games included in the game total listed on your user profile? If so, should they count towards the 50 game minimum too? Do we do it at a discounted rate, like (games-current games) + 0.5*current games >= 50? Or we could get fancier with something like:

if games >=50
and either (games - current)/games >= 0.60
or
(games - current) >= 50

(excuse my pseudo pseudocode) This lets players with 50 total games get in the door with only 30 completed (60%; 20 current), but would cap off at 50 completed games, so that a player with 50 finished games plus 35 current games could join, even though less than 60% of their total (85) games are completed. This is obviously tailored to a small fraction of players, but it might save a few headaches in bizarre situations and shouldn't be much harder to implement.

Also, I fancy the idea of further restricting who can create games with this 50+ game requirement. I think that if you need 50+ games to join, you should have 150+ games to make a game with that restriction. This keeps the available pool of games greater for new players, prevents 50-150 game players from getting too pretentious about "1o1 n00bz", and actually creates a nice ladder of exposure to players of higher and lower experience levels, without being too exclusive. New players don't get crushed by vets as much and vets don't get annoyed by noobs as much, while mid-range players get a balance of both by gaining permission to join anything, but not to directly exclude anybody. Theoretically, you play people corresponding to your own experience level (as determined by games played), but without isolating new players.

Obviously, these numbers are all examples, but this is how I generally feel about it. Now, whether or not this ever makes it past the suggestion stage (or what it would look like at that point) is a whole different story. Smile

PS, sorry for the novel!!
Xmo5
Xmo5
AWBW Map Committee
AWBW Map Committee

Back to top Go down

Post  Blanci Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:56 pm

IPS wrote:

[Suggestion 2] Allowing players to create rooms that only acept players with a determinate amount of games
..........the topic of this is that I'm really anoyed of AFK's that doesn't even play their first turn on any game and then don't come again to AWBW. It would been good that as you play more, you can set in the room "allow players of xx amount of games or higher to join" and auto kicking or not allowing to join the rest. Honestly there are too much newbies like this and really few exceptions plays their firsts turn...

presumably    .......   room = game  !?   afk = newb??
we dont have rooms like in yahoo... not yet.

Yes newbs can be a problem.  When i post in public waiting ( room!)  i usually put a note on the comments asking  for experienced players with say 50 games under their belt.
Alternatively i sometimes put out 3 or 4 clones of the game i wish to play knowing that 1 or 2 of said games may not progress far.". but usually about half of respondents play reasonably responsibly... and some newbs play decently too.

I shall be putting out some fog games in public soon ... as soon as i dig out those unusual interesting maps i saw or played on  some years back.  I want to play more fog and non stalemate maps.
In meantime ....if you post any fog games on such wierd maps let me know ....

Blanci
Recon
Recon

Posts Posts : 156
Reputation Reputation : 35

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down