Take Your Turn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 250 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:07 am
Latest topics
» [Observer's AWBW document] An FOW game on 1vs1 Verdun, Nell vs Von Bolt
Advanced Strategy: How Much is First Strike worth?  EmptyTue Nov 09, 2021 7:14 am by a9977321

» dpsi/Jokas Collaboration Analysis
Advanced Strategy: How Much is First Strike worth?  EmptyFri Feb 19, 2021 3:20 pm by dpsi

» Jokas' Olaf Guide
Advanced Strategy: How Much is First Strike worth?  EmptyFri Feb 19, 2021 3:03 pm by dpsi

» Jokas' Adder Guide (pt 1) English
Advanced Strategy: How Much is First Strike worth?  EmptyFri Feb 19, 2021 2:51 pm by dpsi

» Basic Guide for HQ Cheese and countering strategy for current FOW GL maps
Advanced Strategy: How Much is First Strike worth?  EmptyFri May 22, 2020 1:40 am by a9977321

» Phantom Domain Discussion
Advanced Strategy: How Much is First Strike worth?  EmptyTue Mar 24, 2020 8:44 am by a9977321

» Commander Wars an Advance Wars Clone
Advanced Strategy: How Much is First Strike worth?  EmptySun Jun 23, 2019 5:14 am by Robosturm_

» Advanced Strategy: Minimum Attacking Ratio
Advanced Strategy: How Much is First Strike worth?  EmptyThu May 16, 2019 9:05 pm by Everdan

» Advanced Strategy: How Much is First Strike worth?
Advanced Strategy: How Much is First Strike worth?  EmptyThu May 16, 2019 8:32 pm by Everdan

Top posting users this month
No user

Advanced Strategy: How Much is First Strike worth?

Go down

Advanced Strategy: How Much is First Strike worth?  Empty Advanced Strategy: How Much is First Strike worth?

Post  Everdan Thu May 16, 2019 8:32 pm

One of the big incentives for attacking in AWBW is the notion of first strike: by attacking your opponent's units first, you do more damage than you take in return. This makes it possible for a smaller force to successfully destroy a larger one, provided it has the advantage of going first. And yet, there's a limit to the power of first strike; you can't engage into an enemy army three times your size and expect to come out ahead.

In this post I discuss how much a first strike is worth.

Assumptions

To simplify the analysis, I make several assumptions:
1. We consider a single unit type, with base damage 55 against itself (quite realistic)
2. All units can attack on their turn (not always true)  
3. No CO powers

First Strike Value

One way of calculating first strike value is as follows: Suppose my opponent has X units and I have Y units, a smaller number, and I engage the opponent with a first strike. How big does Y need to be for our armies to trade evenly?

There are a couple ways of solving this - you could do it analytically by setting up the correct equations, and then solving them, or you could model this in Excel for several different values of X, Y. The first method gives an estimate of about Y = 0.78  X. In other words, the first strike allows this army to trade with an army (1/0.78) = 1.28 times its size. This means that the first strike is worth about 28% of your army value.

Conclusions

In conclusion, the first strike allows a numerically inferior army to fight on even ground against a larger army. Concretely, an army with first strike can evenly trade with an army 30% larger.

Appendix

The equations used to calculate the given value may be posted here in the future.

Everdan
AWBW Map Committee
AWBW Map Committee

Posts Posts : 138
Reputation Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down