Take Your Turn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 250 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:07 am
Latest topics
» [Observer's AWBW document] An FOW game on 1vs1 Verdun, Nell vs Von Bolt
Wee War- The New AWBW? EmptyTue Nov 09, 2021 7:14 am by a9977321

» dpsi/Jokas Collaboration Analysis
Wee War- The New AWBW? EmptyFri Feb 19, 2021 3:20 pm by dpsi

» Jokas' Olaf Guide
Wee War- The New AWBW? EmptyFri Feb 19, 2021 3:03 pm by dpsi

» Jokas' Adder Guide (pt 1) English
Wee War- The New AWBW? EmptyFri Feb 19, 2021 2:51 pm by dpsi

» Basic Guide for HQ Cheese and countering strategy for current FOW GL maps
Wee War- The New AWBW? EmptyFri May 22, 2020 1:40 am by a9977321

» Phantom Domain Discussion
Wee War- The New AWBW? EmptyTue Mar 24, 2020 8:44 am by a9977321

» Commander Wars an Advance Wars Clone
Wee War- The New AWBW? EmptySun Jun 23, 2019 5:14 am by Robosturm_

» Advanced Strategy: Minimum Attacking Ratio
Wee War- The New AWBW? EmptyThu May 16, 2019 9:05 pm by Everdan

» Advanced Strategy: How Much is First Strike worth?
Wee War- The New AWBW? EmptyThu May 16, 2019 8:32 pm by Everdan

Top posting users this month
No user

Wee War- The New AWBW?

+2
theether
Xmo5
6 posters

Go down

Wee War- The New AWBW? Empty Wee War- The New AWBW?

Post  Xmo5 Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:19 pm

Hey guys, I haven't seen it mentioned here but, thanks to Madd Maxx, I came across a cool game similar to AW called Wee War. I wasn't sure if he saw it mentioned here or found it himself, but I thought I would put it somewhere obvious for people to see.

Now, about the game. Its a TBS game based on a hexagonal grid with similar land/air/sea units, terrain, movement costs etc to AWBW. Do not be confused into thinking that it plays the same, however. For example, you have units like "hovercrafts" that are basically the equivalent of bikes from DoR with the exception of the fact that they can go over water. Also, battleships can only move 2 spaces with a 1-4 range, but like in DoR can attack after moving. In fact, they can attack twice per turn. Air units can move, attack, and then move another 1 or 2 spaces after attacking. Also, the mech equivalent does not have 1MP cost on terrain like in AW. There are also no cities, towers, hidden units (stealth, sub), CO's/powers, and no FoW that I know of. Just some of the differences to keep in mind.

Even though the game has a lot of gameplay differences, the game is really fun I think the UI is much nicer than AWBW (and includes a chat box). There are boot times in these games, but instead of automatically booting players over their boot time, the other players have the option to boot non-responsive players once they've exceeded the boot limit. So if you don't want people booted you can leave it be, meaning you can probably push the limits a little more and single instance accidents won't be a big deal.

There's also a n00b guide to the game I recommend reading, even though I haven't. Some of the pictures/UI info might be a bit out of date, but that's not the important part IMO. There are a lot of differences you want to learn about especially since your instinct is to treat it the same as AWBW. I pretty much just jumped in, which works too, but if I'd seen this first I would have read it. (I might still read it)
Xmo5
Xmo5
AWBW Map Committee
AWBW Map Committee

Posts Posts : 458
Reputation Reputation : 106

Back to top Go down

Wee War- The New AWBW? Empty Re: Wee War- The New AWBW?

Post  theether Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:32 pm

Looks nice so far Smile
I'm excited to try it.
theether
theether
Recon
Recon

Posts Posts : 129
Reputation Reputation : 42

Back to top Go down

Post  Blanci Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:15 am

Great info.
One question...What is UI ?  unit information? quote:
"the UI is much nicer than AWBW"
Thanks.

I ll get along and give it a try when i can.  Meanwhile I hope people post their experiences here, as theEther and I are doing with space cows.

Panzer general Works with Hex too.  I downloaded PG many years ago and it was nice but used a fixed set of WW2 maps against the AI in an unbalanced game to give the AI a chance (lol, so higher levels were hard to begin with, until you learn a way)...and i dont think well i dunno if theres an online human v human site. Someone could start a PG thread and give us updated info on whats available.

an aside on hex games: an early versión of nintendo wars or whatever it was called used Squares with alternate rows having a half space horizontal shift (!!) which is basically a hex arrangement (sounds strange but when you see it its clear)  
sss                              I I I I
sss                             I I I I I
sss                            I I I I I I
sss                             I I I I I                  
the pink square has  6 neighbours.

Blanci
Recon
Recon

Posts Posts : 156
Reputation Reputation : 35

Back to top Go down

Post  Xmo5 Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:59 am

Sorry, don't have time to respond to everything, but UI = User Interface.
Xmo5
Xmo5
AWBW Map Committee
AWBW Map Committee

Back to top Go down

Post  theether Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:04 am

The graphical user interface (GUI) is very nice, indeed.
Moving units, attacking or building, all these actions feel very intuitive.
e.g. click a unit, click where it should move and click again to confirm. if the unit can attack, a red hexagon is drawn around all possible targets. Click that and confirm your choice to start an attack.

I didn't like the gameplay as much, however.
First, a lack of variety: 7 terrain types (grass, desert, sea, swamp, mountain, forest, bridge) plus 4 types of properties (factory, airport, port and hospital) doesn't cut it for me.
Also, transport units are missing completely.

Secondly, I don't like their zone defense mechanism:
ground units cannot move directly around enemy ground units. What this means is that it's harder to surround a unit in order to attack as much as possible. On the other hand it's easier to protect artillery.
This wouldn't be that much of a problem if units had a good amount of movement points. They don't.
Most of the time the AW-equivalent has more movement.
Overall this makes tanks a rather useless unit, seeing as they have less attack and defense than in AW and their movement is hindered (price $300).
Artillery still have 2-3 attack range and cost only $200.

Thirdly: Units attack at the same time like in Famicon Wars.
This may be personal preference, but I feel you have to be more careful with your units when attackers win a same unit matchup.
Also, indirect units counterattack when they can. This surprised me at first, because I'm used to AW.

On the other hand, it's interesting how terrain has different effects on ground units: Infantry have increased defense in forests, but tanks have reduced defense there. And Hovercrafts can't pass forests, but they're the only ground unit to move over sea.

Take all of this with a grain of salt, though.
I haven't played it as much as I sound like, and I might change my mind a few times in the near future Wink

All in all it's an interesting alternative to AWBW.
theether
theether
Recon
Recon

Back to top Go down

Post  Xmo5 Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:35 am

I agree pretty much 100% with everything that TheEther said. Its very different from AWBW in a lot of aspects that make it less of a replacement and more of a substitute for AWBW. I still have yet to really wrap my mind around the new strategies/possibilities with all of the differences we mentioned but I've been having fun with it.

Despite its drawbacks (legitimate drawbacks apart from the fact that its not AWBW) I think the UI and hexagonal geometry are major positives here. Not to say that a good UI is substitute for a good game (one of my pet peeves in the gaming world*) but it certainly helps if the game is good enough in its own right. The hexagonal geometry throws in a new flavor that helps make a lot more possibilities viable that couldn't be properly explored with a square grid. 3p maps, for example, are much easier to make balanced.

I will say that with my experiences so far, I have a hard time seeing how this could be played at a real competitive level because there is too much give and take. Attacks/counterattacks are performed simultaneously meaning if your inf. deals 5HP damage to an inf, he might also take 5HP damage. More luck is involved too I believe- it feels like playing with Flak or Jugger sometimes. Capturing is based on 2 turns (like if you had 10HP) and is not dependent on HP of the unit as long as it survives one enemy turn. Also the issues of unit balance and zone shielding mentioned above. All of these make competitive play hard in my mind, but maybe its just because I'm not familiar enough with it yet.

Oh well, it is what it is. I'm having fun for now so thats good enough for me.

Also, that shifted square grid concept seems pretty cool, actually. Basically ends up working like hexagonal, but its an interesting way around it.

*This is really only part of my pet peeve. More generally it annoys me when games with terrible gameplay and/or plots get popular based on graphics, UI, special effects, advertizing, and attractive characters. Most times I would rather enjoy the game than how cool it looks, though admittedly the occasional mindless game of flashy effects can be fun. I think its the ones that pretend to be awesome that get me- you can be flashy and bland as long as you own up to it Razz
Xmo5
Xmo5
AWBW Map Committee
AWBW Map Committee

Back to top Go down

Post  Xmo5 Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:15 am

There's also another site, warnet, that seems to be pretty similar to WeeWar with the exception that the units/properties are medieval themed and that you can play in FoW.

There are some very helpful guides under the "Help" tab if you want to learn about how the game/units work. Again, haven't read everything personally, but when I've needed specific info, I've always been able to find it there.
Xmo5
Xmo5
AWBW Map Committee
AWBW Map Committee

Back to top Go down

Post  InfernusMachine Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:41 pm

OMG, look who's back *.*

EDIT: I'm sorry for posting this here x) i just were so excited that this was the first one appearing XD

EDIT2: I gave a check in the WEEWARS Smile i liked the concept, have some similarities Smile but atleast i need time to understand and learn the news strategies and moves Razz but with that in mind, and with some time i believe that i can catch that and put my hopes in this good game :3

Last edited by InfernusMachine on Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
InfernusMachine
InfernusMachine
Mech
Mech

Posts Posts : 13
Reputation Reputation : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Blanci Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:02 pm

Xmo5s "warnet" post deserves its own thread, so it has been reposted.

Meanwhile I think its a good idea to keep this thread dedicated to WEE WARS  Very Happy

infernus said
OMG, look who's back *.*

By the way . please tell...... Who is back ?  xmo5 or infernus or the game... i fear my internet 6th sense is poor

Blanci
Recon
Recon

Posts Posts : 156
Reputation Reputation : 35

Back to top Go down

Post  sulla Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:03 pm

Blanci can you do Cobra as the German's and survive? That is the hardest scenario in panzer general by far.

sulla
Recon
Recon

Posts Posts : 135
Reputation Reputation : -63

Back to top Go down

Post  InfernusMachine Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:26 pm

Sorry XD i was referring to the AWBW XD
InfernusMachine
InfernusMachine
Mech
Mech

Posts Posts : 13
Reputation Reputation : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  theether Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:51 pm

So I kept playing it and had quite some fun.
Especially nice is that there don't seem to be any players that get booted.

It's somewhat ironic, though, that now Wee War is down while AWBW works.
theether
theether
Recon
Recon

Back to top Go down

Post  Xmo5 Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:33 pm

I had the exact same thought when I saw they were down about a week or 2 ago. I've been checking on and off ever since.

Also, I think I prefer warnet, personally.
Xmo5
Xmo5
AWBW Map Committee
AWBW Map Committee

Back to top Go down

Post  Kristoph Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:06 am

Back when AWDoR was first released, a bunch of us started playing Weewar. Ultrastorm was really successful spamming infantry/artillery and made some of the userbase kind of annoyed, haha.

Kristoph
Infantry
Infantry

Posts Posts : 1
Reputation Reputation : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down