Take Your Turn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 250 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:07 am
Latest topics
» [Observer's AWBW document] An FOW game on 1vs1 Verdun, Nell vs Von Bolt
Current State of AWBW and AW  (June 2014) - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 09, 2021 7:14 am by a9977321

» dpsi/Jokas Collaboration Analysis
Current State of AWBW and AW  (June 2014) - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 19, 2021 3:20 pm by dpsi

» Jokas' Olaf Guide
Current State of AWBW and AW  (June 2014) - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 19, 2021 3:03 pm by dpsi

» Jokas' Adder Guide (pt 1) English
Current State of AWBW and AW  (June 2014) - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 19, 2021 2:51 pm by dpsi

» Basic Guide for HQ Cheese and countering strategy for current FOW GL maps
Current State of AWBW and AW  (June 2014) - Page 2 EmptyFri May 22, 2020 1:40 am by a9977321

» Phantom Domain Discussion
Current State of AWBW and AW  (June 2014) - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2020 8:44 am by a9977321

» Commander Wars an Advance Wars Clone
Current State of AWBW and AW  (June 2014) - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 23, 2019 5:14 am by Robosturm_

» Advanced Strategy: Minimum Attacking Ratio
Current State of AWBW and AW  (June 2014) - Page 2 EmptyThu May 16, 2019 9:05 pm by Everdan

» Advanced Strategy: How Much is First Strike worth?
Current State of AWBW and AW  (June 2014) - Page 2 EmptyThu May 16, 2019 8:32 pm by Everdan

Top posting users this month
No user

Current State of AWBW and AW (June 2014)

+7
theether
NDA|D007
Iordor
Divva
strike1
Best Sakuya NA
Blanci
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Current State of AWBW and AW  (June 2014) - Page 2 Empty Current State of AWBW and AW (June 2014)

Post  Blanci Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:03 am

First topic message reminder :

AWBW has been down and up and now permanently down (? who knows?) for 3 weeks or more and its looking Grim.
The previous admin and marriner appear to be just busy with other projects .  I emailed marriner last week and offered to help in any way  (to cover server costs or whatever or even to take over site management but havent heard back as yet.  
Jake Ruiz similarly offered to help (mentioned in this fórum), presumably no luck there either so far.

The worst thing really is that we have no idea what is going on . So I think we must suppose that nothing much is likely to happen with AWBW coming  back.

Please anyone with any news about AWBW please post here.
Also anyone who knows how to contact marriner please do so and with the backing of myself and many more less vocal but equally keen enthusiasts of AW and the AWBW implementation. I didnt yet try twitter to contact marriner !?

Note:The global league had some 80 active players with multiple games (and another 40 or so inactive accounts) plus AWBW had 30 or players in the special leagues plus a number of other random games and many multiplayer maps.
So AWBW was definitely still flying though not as high as years back.

I encourage all AWBW fans to join with all AW fans and we must now think more widely about AW and the very similar games such as panzer general and others going back before gameboy even.  
For example I found a website not used much in 3 years called Space Cows which without the cows is basically AW but without certain features like CO powers, fog. Also the units are somewhat difficult to differentiate.  This and other similar AW stuff is properly announced elsewhere in this sub Fórum  "AW News".

We probably now need to distinguish between marriners AWBW and more general "Online AW" which of course are quite different from "AW" --which a lot of people will interpret as the GBA games against the AI -- the latter is really a bit dull for experienced online players who only like to play against humans because it is more fun and of course the GB AI just cant handle high complexity of decent size AW maps. (making AW superior to chess as strategy game)

So until further AWBW news, I adjourn effort to other threads under AW or online AW.

Blanci
Recon
Recon

Posts Posts : 156
Reputation Reputation : 35

Back to top Go down

Current State of AWBW and AW  (June 2014) - Page 2 Empty Re: Current State of AWBW and AW (June 2014)

Post  strike1 Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:23 pm

Good work Iordor Smile

strike1
Mech
Mech

Posts Posts : 23
Reputation Reputation : 21

Back to top Go down

Current State of AWBW and AW  (June 2014) - Page 2 Empty Re: Current State of AWBW and AW (June 2014)

Post  Iordor Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:52 am

NP, I spent way too much time on this game to just watch it die away!

Updates:
Current State of AWBW and AW  (June 2014) - Page 2 LKaXmZR
Current State of AWBW and AW  (June 2014) - Page 2 TeEi2pF
Iordor
Iordor
Mech
Mech

Posts Posts : 83

Back to top Go down

Post  strike1 Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:50 pm

Ok great work, so we've narrowed down one of the main issues as server costs

Iodor, would you know if aaron have a contactable email we can speak with him re/ this? We should find out more details around how much the total server costs are, how much he wants us to contribute to keep it going.

Then we can go from there

strike1
Mech
Mech

Back to top Go down

Post  Iordor Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:00 pm

Here it is: amarriner@amarriner.com I don't know how often he checks his email/answers it.
Iordor
Iordor
Mech
Mech

Back to top Go down

Post  strike1 Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:14 am

Ok so it seems like that is his main email.

I'll send an email this weekend, and see if he replies, and I will post the contents of my email here. If anyone has anything to add, please speak up

strike1
Mech
Mech

Back to top Go down

Post  strike1 Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:59 pm

I sent an email this morning to amarriner@amarriner.com, so I don't keep you all in the dark:

Hi Aaron

I'm 'strike1' from https://isndev.forumotion.co.uk/t638p15-current-state-of-awbw-and-aw-june-2014

I know you created the site and have been covering the server costs for a long time out of your own pocket and for that we are all very grateful. It is the best advance wars site out there, it has a loyal following and we would like to keep it going.

I'm thinking the community could organise an annual fund-raiser if you let us know how much it is costing and how much you think we should chip in.

If there are any other issues re/ site management and what the community can do to help, please also let us know. I'm not a programmer myself, but I am sure there are willing volunteers who can help. An issue flagged was the possibility of deleting inactive users and b/c grade maps that are rarely used.

Regards

Clement

strike1
Mech
Mech

Back to top Go down

Post  Iordor Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:41 pm

Well written message, strike - I'll send it to him in a couple of days on twitter if he doesn't respond by then. He has told me that the 10th anniversary is coming up, and he'd like to keep it running if he could.

What would be cool is he we could do a kickstarter, or something and fund him to redo the entire site with flash capabilities, and such.
Iordor
Iordor
Mech
Mech

Back to top Go down

Post  strike1 Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:11 am

Let's set up a fundraiser thread. I'm willing to chip in as well

Message from Aaron:

Hi there,
Thanks for getting in touch with me. I definitely don't mind keeping AWBW up and running and rebooting stuff from time to time. As you noted, the biggest impediment to that is the hosting costs. For a while it was fine, but my financial situation has changed a bit and it's a little tougher to handle. Some kind of fundraiser just for the hosting costs would be fantastic. I'm not looking to make any money there so I'd want to be careful we just get what we need. Even if it doesn't reach the entire cost of hosting for a year I don't mind footing some of the cost.

Last October I paid $450 for the year, so it'll be coming up again in a few months. I'm going to contact the host because it seems as though perhaps their costs may have decreased somewhat? I want to see what my costs will be in October and then I guess we can see where we're at and go from there? I also don't really know the best way to do a fundraiser of this kind so I'll have to research that a bit. I want to be as transparent as possible as to how much money I would need, how much we've collected so far and where it's going.

Thanks,
Aaron

strike1
Mech
Mech

Back to top Go down

Post  theether Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:13 am

Just now I was surprised to find the AWBW forum back online  Very Happy
In case it's going down again I'll save a few pages.

Thanks to Amarriner for being awesome and continuing working on AWBW even though it actually costs him money Smile
theether
theether
Recon
Recon

Posts Posts : 129
Reputation Reputation : 42

Back to top Go down

Post  Iordor Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:07 am

That's cool - I just went through and saved everything that could be considered important just in case too.

Also looks like we have a new member here guy  Smile : Current State of AWBW and AW  (June 2014) - Page 2 Bs3YXeD
Iordor
Iordor
Mech
Mech

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganLeah Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:07 pm

The forum is indeed back  Very Happy 

I find myself unable to log in, though.

MorganLeah
AWBW Map Committee
AWBW Map Committee

Posts Posts : 51
Reputation Reputation : 12

Back to top Go down

Post  amarriner Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:14 am

theether wrote:Just now I was surprised to find the AWBW forum back online  Very Happy
In case it's going down again I'll save a few pages.

Thanks to Amarriner for being awesome and continuing working on AWBW even though it actually costs him money Smile

Accidentally down-voted this sorry. Yeah I was messing with the forums trying to get them back up, but they're super screwed at the moment. Not sure I'll be able to do much more anytime soon. I'll try, though.
amarriner
amarriner
Infantry
Infantry

Posts Posts : 1
Reputation Reputation : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  theether Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:09 pm

Hey Amarriner, it's great to see you in this forum Very Happy
As long as the game still works, I can live without being able to login to the 'old' forum.
I mean, we have this fine forum here to discuss AWBW for the time being.

But maybe you could link to this forum on AWBW?
That way more people would find their way here and you wouldn't have as much stress with the site Wink
theether
theether
Recon
Recon

Back to top Go down

Post  WalkerBoh Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:51 pm

If I see Glen again soon, I'll ask him to put up a link to this forum instead of the old one.

WalkerBoh
AWBW Map Committee
AWBW Map Committee

Posts Posts : 328
Reputation Reputation : 108

Back to top Go down

Post  pizzatroll Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:58 am

Registered here just to say that it looked like the old forums are back up and I see I've been pre-empted!

Alas.

also hi
pizzatroll
pizzatroll
Infantry
Infantry

Posts Posts : 3
Reputation Reputation : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  theether Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:37 am

How do y'all manage to login, though?
I only get the message "The file you were looking for wasn't found." when trying Sad

And hi
theether
theether
Recon
Recon

Back to top Go down

Post  pizzatroll Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:39 am

I don't know...I was just logged on automatically. I'd log out to log back in but I worry that that wouldn't work.

It looks like the User Control Panel and PM pages are completely borked.

Also Walker made a post before I did, so it looks like I'm not the only one who can still log in there.
pizzatroll
pizzatroll
Infantry
Infantry

Back to top Go down

Post  theether Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:47 am

Maybe both of you still have a Cookie from before the forum went down?

My browser deletes them automatically when closed.
theether
theether
Recon
Recon

Back to top Go down

Post  pizzatroll Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:47 am

I'd believe that. I tend not to delete cookies.

EDIT: btdubs is there a new IRC channel? Or do people no longer go?
pizzatroll
pizzatroll
Infantry
Infantry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2