Take Your Turn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 250 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:07 am
Latest topics
» [Observer's AWBW document] An FOW game on 1vs1 Verdun, Nell vs Von Bolt
When the site goes down, what's the underlying issue? EmptyTue Nov 09, 2021 7:14 am by a9977321

» dpsi/Jokas Collaboration Analysis
When the site goes down, what's the underlying issue? EmptyFri Feb 19, 2021 3:20 pm by dpsi

» Jokas' Olaf Guide
When the site goes down, what's the underlying issue? EmptyFri Feb 19, 2021 3:03 pm by dpsi

» Jokas' Adder Guide (pt 1) English
When the site goes down, what's the underlying issue? EmptyFri Feb 19, 2021 2:51 pm by dpsi

» Basic Guide for HQ Cheese and countering strategy for current FOW GL maps
When the site goes down, what's the underlying issue? EmptyFri May 22, 2020 1:40 am by a9977321

» Phantom Domain Discussion
When the site goes down, what's the underlying issue? EmptyTue Mar 24, 2020 8:44 am by a9977321

» Commander Wars an Advance Wars Clone
When the site goes down, what's the underlying issue? EmptySun Jun 23, 2019 5:14 am by Robosturm_

» Advanced Strategy: Minimum Attacking Ratio
When the site goes down, what's the underlying issue? EmptyThu May 16, 2019 9:05 pm by Everdan

» Advanced Strategy: How Much is First Strike worth?
When the site goes down, what's the underlying issue? EmptyThu May 16, 2019 8:32 pm by Everdan

Top posting users this month
No user

When the site goes down, what's the underlying issue?

3 posters

Go down

When the site goes down, what's the underlying issue? Empty When the site goes down, what's the underlying issue?

Post  start Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:29 am

No one owes us any explanations, but I'm curious! What's the problem, and how do y'all fix it?

start
Mech
Mech

Posts Posts : 16
Reputation Reputation : 1

Back to top Go down

When the site goes down, what's the underlying issue? Empty Re: When the site goes down, what's the underlying issue?

Post  Xmo5 Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:33 pm

Frankly, I'm not sure. A lot of this stuff goes on behind the scenes, even for most of the Map Committee members. There are a very select few that have the ability to truly tinker with the site beyond managing things like maps/categories and league matches etc.

Perhaps there are others who understand the situation better than I do, but I'm not php savvy.
Xmo5
Xmo5
AWBW Map Committee
AWBW Map Committee

Posts Posts : 458
Reputation Reputation : 106

Back to top Go down

When the site goes down, what's the underlying issue? Empty Re: When the site goes down, what's the underlying issue?

Post  start Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:54 pm

Does anyone know who fixes the site when it goes down?

start
Mech
Mech

Posts Posts : 16
Reputation Reputation : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Everdan Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:31 am

This is pure speculation on my part, but based on the error messages, it seems that what really happens when the site crashes is that the code responsible for retrieving your game info from the server goes haywire, and so the "Your Games" page, "Your Turn Games", "Design Maps" - basically everything that requires the site to call up specific games / maps from storage breaks down.

The data remains intact, but your ability to retrieve it gets lost. It's a bit like losing the directions to your friend's house - the house is still there, but you don't know how to get there.

If you notice, the error messages seem to indicate SQL errors, which concerns the code that retrieves data from databases. Furthermore, you'll notice that if you have a map's permalink and type it in your URL, you can still load the map - because the hyperlink provides all the directions needed to retrieve the map from memory. Loading games, however, may not work, because the hyperlink doesn't indicate unit position, whether a particular unit has moved, whose turn it is, available funds or all the hundred other little things that have to be retrieved from memory when you play a game.

As I said though, this is pure speculation on my part since I've never seen the source code. If Walker or Mori could weigh in here, it'd be great Smile

Everdan
AWBW Map Committee
AWBW Map Committee

Posts Posts : 138
Reputation Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down